4. But as Western manufacturing and industry have declined, taking many working-class towns with them, parents and grandparents have found that the opportunities they once had are unavailable to the next generation.
6. It's a bit of a lark organised by UK film critics – a gong for the top canine performance at the festival, handed out on the last Friday in the British pavilion. This year the Palm Dog went to Lucky, a Maltipoo – that's half Maltese terrier, half poodle – who plays Dixie in Miguel Gomes' six-hour epic, Arabian Nights. The prizewinner is presented with a toy bone and this year delivered a brief acceptance speech (“woof”) by video link. A jolly time was had by all but an unnamed French journalist felt that the award was “an unwanted intrusion of British silliness” in the glamorous proceedings, according to AFP. “From the French perspective, this is a bit bizarre,” he is reported to have said. “The British are weird.”
1. 10.I thought I already sent that email out. I’m sure I did. – Because telling you that it was a low priority and I forgot would probably hurt our relationship。
1. It was a confident, high-powered investment firm with credit lines at top financial institutions. It made big bets using borrowed money to buy assets and generate higher returns. But when the market for those assets went south, lenders demanded more collateral until the firm suddenly collapsed. Many frightened lenders clamped down on all borrowers, setting off an overall credit crunch.
6. After year of stars such as Salma Hayek and Gwyneth Paltrow claiming to be vistims of harassment, McGowan has said she understands why Donald Trump supporters hate Hollywood, whose apparent liberalism she says is fake.
1. The THE Asia University Rankings for 2017 rated Peking University and Tsinghua University, both in the Chinese capital of Beijing, as the second and third best universities in the continent. National University of Singapore is ranked the best.
2. It came as no surprise that the likes of Emily Ratajkowski, Adriana Lima, Lily Donaldson and Petra Nemcova turned out to be the red carpet rulers on day one of the 70th Cannes Film Festival.
Shapley made early theoretical inroads into the subject, using game theory to analyze different matching methods in the 1950s and 1960s. Together with US economist David Gale, he developed a mathematical formula for how 10 men and 10 women could be coupled in a way so that no one would benefit from trading partners. While that may have had little impact on marriages and divorces, the algorithm they developed has been used to better understand many different markets.
The Raptors entered February as the team that most needed to make a move: their hot start was fading, their defense wasn't up to snuff for a contender, they had a massive hole at the four, and they felt added urgency to make the most of Kyle Lowry's prime in advance of his upcoming free agency.
Last month scientists at Illinois University made a breakthrough that could herald a second green revolution for world agriculture – they improved the efficiency of photosynthesis, the process by which plants turn sunlight into the biomass that is the source of all our food.