1. Global smartphone shipments reached 1.47 billion units in 2016, up by 2.3 percent from last year, said IDC.
3. Also important to EMBA entrepreneurs was the support of their school and alumni network. About three-quarters of entrepreneurs thought that both the school and their alumni network were helpful or very helpful when setting up their company. “Alumni support was key to getting the idea vetted and getting the right contacts needed for the business”, said one.
5. It's a bit of a lark organised by UK film critics – a gong for the top canine performance at the festival, handed out on the last Friday in the British pavilion. This year the Palm Dog went to Lucky, a Maltipoo – that's half Maltese terrier, half poodle – who plays Dixie in Miguel Gomes' six-hour epic, Arabian Nights. The prizewinner is presented with a toy bone and this year delivered a brief acceptance speech (“woof”) by video link. A jolly time was had by all but an unnamed French journalist felt that the award was “an unwanted intrusion of British silliness” in the glamorous proceedings, according to AFP. “From the French perspective, this is a bit bizarre,” he is reported to have said. “The British are weird.”
6. In fact, academic research suggests that other economic and social transformations unfolding at the same time have led many people to anchor themselves more fully in their whiteness — even as whiteness itself has lost currency.
1. SIZE: 3,073 square feet
3. Whether or not any sort of BlackBerry-Samsung deal actually happens, the development highlights next wave of innovation (and litigation) in mobile technology: one centered on access control methods and containing corporate breachesin an increasingly mobile world.
2. A report from the ministry showed that employers recruited 5.2 million workers through public employment service agencies in the first quarter, dropping 229,000, or 4.5 percent, from the previous year.
3. The fastest-rising sector is apparel, driven by Nike in sportswear as people pay more attention to health and fitness, and Zara, whose fast fashion is becoming increasingly popular in China.
4. 'Gangnam Style' beat 'Call Me Maybe' as the most trending pop song and 'Skyfall' topped 'Prometheus' as the most enquired about film.
1. Retail sales of consumer goods, a key indicator of consumption, rose 10.7 percent year on year in China last year, contributing 66.4 percent to the country's GDP, the Ministry of Commerce said earlier this month.